Been a year since I've posted any updates but a lot has happened since then. Let's start with basketball. As I wrote the post before this, I had just made the decision to coach your 5th grade team. I was very nervous to take this on, but it ended up being a very rewarding experience. We probably had 30 practices that were 90 minutes each, plus the games - So we spent a lot more time together and I liked playing a part in how you and your teammates developed that season.
It taught me a lot about myself too - The importance of being a coach vs. a father vs. a competitor. I will never forget the feeling after getting blown out in a tournament game. It was snowing outside when we came out and you were trying to catch snowflakes in your mouth - It was an amazing moment and reaction that I should have been so proud and joyful for. But instead I turned it into a bad moment but questioning your effort and enthusiasm during the game. You cried and were very upset and then I was upset for not being able to see the larger importance of how well you responded to a difficult moment, because I was actually the one with the poor response.
I think we finished something like 4-4 and it ended up being a lot of fun - You were an amazing player.
Tonight is assessments/tryouts for 6th grade. This is the first year they will do A and B teams. I'm banking on you making the A team so I decided to coach Benny's 3rd grade team!
No comments:
Post a Comment